Here at Wigan Dental and Implant Centre we prefer to place (direct)composite fillings over metal amalgam fillings for small to medium cavities for the following reasons
Composite restorations offer many advantages including:
- cosmetic and esthetic – blends in naturally
- smooth and bonded margins- less plaque accumulation and opportunity for recurrent decay.
- Conservative- less tooth structure must be removed to make space for the filling.
- easily repaired- any chips can easily be repaired seamlessly with surface roughening and addition of composite.
- Reinforces remaining tooth structure- since the composite is bonded to the tooth, it reinforces the remaining structure and prevents wedging forces from causing cracks and fractures with repeated chewing.
- Seals the dentin from future decay.